If you have obtained the Alien Permanent Resident Certificate, you do not need to go through the employer. Instead, you can apply directly for a personal work permit from the Ministry of Labor (Article 51 of the Employment Service Act)

If you are a "foreign professional", "foreign special professional", or "foreign senior professional", you and your spouse, child under the age of majority, and child over the age of majority who is unable to live independently due to physical or mental disability, having obtained permanent residency, need not apply for a work permit (Paragraph 2, Article 7 of the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals).

If you do not have any of the circumstances listed in Article 24, Item 1 and 2 of the Immigration Act,  you can apply to the National Immigration Agency for a 6-month extension before your ARC expires. You can apply for a maximum of 2 extensions, for a total of up to 1 year (Article 22-1 of the Regulations Governing Visiting, Residency, and Permanent Residency of Aliens).


If you are staying in Taiwan for the purpose of “studying”, this period does not count toward the 5-year continuous stay requirement for permanent residence (Paragraph 1, Article 25 of the Immigration Act).

If you work in Taiwan as a professional for 5 consecutive years after graduating from university and stay an average of more than 183 days each year, you can apply for permanent residency.

In addition, if you obtained a master's degree in Taiwan, you can reduce the qualifying period by 1 year; 2 years if you obtained a doctoral degree in Taiwan, but the two may not be counted together. (Paragraph 4, Article 14 of the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals).

If you already hold permanent residency, you do not need to apply for a re-entry permit before leaving Taiwan. When you return to Taiwan, you only need to show your passport and alien permanent resident certificate.

If you are married to a Taiwanese national who has household registration in Taiwan, and you have been granted residency, you can work in Taiwan without applying for a work permit.